Monday, November 8, 2010

Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul

. Monday, November 8, 2010 .

Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul

I took these pictures a few years ago when I was living about an hour south of Seoul. Usually when I went to Seoul, I was looking for English language books or good foreign food, but did visit a few interesting places. I'd love to go back to see the things I missed.

Hyangwongeong Pavilion with the museum in the background
Gyeongbokgung Palace was originally built in 1394. It's been nearly demolished and rebuilt twice. They are still rebuilding it now. It was only about a third done when I went. There were originally over 300 buildings. It must have been a huge complex.

One of the inner buildings

A small gate

Gwanghwamun - the main gate into the Palace
The city is built up right to the palace walls on the south, so you can see the skyscrapers. I think the other three directions are greener. Apparently since I've taken this picture, they moved the entire gate 14 meters south. I had wanted to go back right before I left, but it was blocked off, so I was lucky I went when I did.

Corner of one of the buildings
I like how every bit of wood was painted, even the parts most people wouldn't be looking at. 

My feeling is this was taken somewhere on the western side of the complex, but unfortunately I don't remember where.


View Larger Map

To get there: Take Line 3 and get off at Gyeongbokgung station. You could also get off at Gwanghwamun station on Line 5. It's only a few blocks away, and depending on where you are coming from, it might save you from transferring and going another 3 stops. I think the Kyobo bookstore (which had a decent English section) is right by Gwanghwamun station.

Gyeongbokgung - Korean Tourism Org 

0 comments: